Thursday, July 22, 2010

First experiences...

12 July 2010

A happy day in Jeonju... climbed a beautiful mountain, circled a fortress... and then to training!

I arrived at the Taekkyon Wansan-gu Chonsuguan (택견 완산구 전수관) at about 6 p.m.

The instructor, Mr Kwon Hyun, whom we addressed as Kwanjang-nim (관장 님), meaning dojang owner, was in his small office in front of his computer. He had graciously allowed me to train with him for 2 nights at his dojang.

At the dojang, I noticed the inspirational words printed near the ceiling at the wall where students faced during trainings “하면된다! 할수있다! 해보자!” which meant “If you try you can! You can do it! Let’s try!”, and felt more at ease as I was nervous about the fact that I do not usually learn quickly.

After some introductions, the Instructor loaned me a pair of Taekkyon pants. It was very loose, with a string to be tied securely just below the knee cap. It made stretching a lot easier, and I didn’t have to pull up my pants every time I did a split. Another type of pants which I saw others don was very loose and baggy with a strap secured at the ankles.

I observed the 6 to 7pm children’s classes. The children were dynamic, very hardworking and absolutely adorable. They performed back rolls, hip stretches, groin stretches with a partner’s help. The Instructor had arranged a stretching regime to benefit their health and fitness, and would personally stretch every single student, stretching their lower back and knees.



Following stretches, they did the Bal Chagi (팔 차기). I learnt later during the adult class that from a standing position with one leg in front of the other, the rear foot is to be chambered with one’s knee close to your chest, and the whole foot is to be used to push the opponent away, followed by extending the ball of the foot upon contact with target to push the opponent further. It much resembles a knife-edge push kick in Hapkido, without the knife-edge of course.


No kicks in Taekkyon are intended to injure, but more to push the opponent away.

The children were amazing, and did cover many techniques within the hour. When they misbehaved they would get ear massages! It's in fact good for their health. According to the Instructor, they were exceptionally high because they had a foreign visitor.

I spent some time stretching before the adult class. Some of the Taekkyon practitioners were above 50 years of age and came for trainings after work.

For exercises, we did many leg raises and sit-ups. Sit-ups were performed with the other partner standing on your feet and holding their palms down in front of them. The person performing the sit-up was not to rest on the floor at any time, and had to go back up to touch your partners palm with fingertips when they were perhaps 5 to 10 degrees off the floor.

After the exercises, the class did some kicking exercises. One other kick resembled a high twisting kick in Taekwon-Do with the attacking tool as the instep – probably more like a slap kick in Hapkido. But frankly, I have never seen it being performed with so much power before. It starts from a sitting stance, cross leg from back and SLAP the target. The Instructor said I don’t twist my hip enough. I will work on it.

I really enjoyed it. 2nd session tomorrow.

13 July 2010

I heard counting from the dojang from downstairs at about 4 pm. I learnt from my guide that classes started at 4 p.m. daily. The Instructor was eating his dinner when we came. He has his dinner between 5 to 6 p.m.

I arrived early at about 5 p.m. The Instructor also showed me an exercise where I had to form my feet into a ‘T’ shape, hold the wall and do a half squat. It’s a lot more difficult than it looks.



I joined them for the children’s class at 6 p.m. Stretches were similar with a horse stance with both feet pointing out and hands on knees and shoulder down, one arm straightened. 30 push ups, 15 sit ups, another 15 push ups. I had to sat out for their forms because I could not quite follow. ^^’’’

I was very impressed with their forms. Although some had displayed some strange movements that didn’t quite seem right, and some forgot their movements, they all did the forms together in the same rhythm saying “이그, 에그, 에그”


After having them do forms, he assigned the junior members to the more senior members, and they had some time to do their own forms because their grading was approaching. After that, he tested them and took them out of the squad when their performance was unsatisfactory. Their teachers would be reprimanded if the students they taught did badly.

During the course of this lesson, I saw the Instructor teach one of the more senior students his form, and I was awe-stricken. It was very graceful, the turns, the steps, were all smooth and balanced, but you wouldn't want to be within a 2 metre radius of him when he did a kick because the way his weight was thrown plus the acceleration was clearly enough to deal unimaginable damage.

It really set me thinking - must power really be at the expense of beauty?

After that, the Instructor showed me how they sparred. There was no need for guards or boots or gloves because Taekkyon moves aren’t meant to injure. They can push kick, grapple and sweep. They would be warned if they kick to the sides. They would lose the game if they touch the floor or if they start with the right leg.


The class would meditate for about 60 seconds after lessons ended.



They beamed when they received their candy. :D

The adult classes started soon. We began with some shoulder stretches identical to the one I did during the children’s class – the one in horse stance. Sitting on leg with other leg toes pointing up, push knee with elbow until almost straight, and stretch down. A lot of partner stretches after that:-







The Instructor was able to tell that I had back aches. I had been quite injured since before I left Korea and was in pain, but I had never said it since there was nothing to be done about it. The pain was quite aggravated when I had to break a fall during the Taekwon-Do seminar lately. The Instructor helped to hyper extend my spine at the mid back section. My back problems were resolved immediately. I was very thankful!!!

Next, the class separated to do forms, and I learnt the basic steps of Taekkyon – Beet Balb Gi (빗밟기). To help me understand how to bend my supporting foot, I did this exercise:-

In a parallel ready stance, lift my left leg, and bend the right knee, when the left went down bend and lift right... and continue while keeping your back straight. It was great for strengthening knees. But I felt as though I had done a this a million times before... It took while before I identified it, it felt exactly like sine wave.

Next, I tried the Beet Balb Gi itself. The Instructor drew circles on the floor to guide me:-



Feet are together V -shaped in a right angle. Always start from left foot. Left foot to step out from B to A, and have the left foot flat at A. The distance from heel to toe being about a shoulder width. Bring your hip (NOT CHEST) forwards (not diagonal) and relax your hands... I note from other videos there are things they'll do with it later though I didn't learn it. SAY eek (이그) Bring your left leg back and bend it (say ache (에그)), land and bend your right foot (say ache (에그)) before bringing it to C in the same way your left went to A (say eek (이그)). Continue process and repeat.

If you think it's easy, try that for 30 minutes and see how you feel the next day. Great mid-rif and leg work out. I was really fascinated by it... because... IT'S FUN!!!




This movement dominates 50% of all Taekkyon forms and is varied to kick, push, sweep, etc...

After that, we did some strength training such as half squats and lunges.

Training was over too soon, and I had to say good bye to the rest of the class and the Instructor. I had learnt so many things that my gratitude could never be placed in words.

I thanked everyone the best I could.





I’ll miss this.

I'll be back.